2009/02/19

English book stores in Hong Kong

I have a lot of trouble finding good English technical books in Hong Kong after so many years ordering from Amazon.

There are a few good local bookstores to buy and pre-order:
  • Swindon Books offer good ordering service. I ordered TAOCP from them (okay, I'm still stuck in book 1. TAOCP are those books belong to the "A Brief History of Time" category i.e. looks good on the bookshelf). It arrived in 4 weeks and delivered straight to my office.
  • My personal favorite bookstore is the Data Bank in Causeway Bay. They are a small bookshop and seem to really care about computer books. They have quirky books like Programming Erlang, Programming Collective Intelligence as well as the whole shebang iPhone SDK books collections. Their shop is 2 buildings away from Sogo, right next to the Mioggi tower.
  • Unknown bookshop on the basement floor of Golden Computer Centre. They are a big English bookstore right underneath the stairwell, on the South Western entrance. They have a lot of Microsoft, RoR and a few Python books. Their books are more general than Data Bank, but do have quirks sometime. Bought my Rapid GUI Programming with Python and QT book there.
If you know a few more, please let me know!!! Of course you can still order online from Amazon....